Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day

Well it's finally here ... Thank God. If we aren't hearing about John McCain and Barack Obama we, in Oregon, are hearing about Jeff Merkley and Gordon Smith.
For those of you outside of Oregon you haven't missed anything. These two spent more money on their campaign than any other senate race in America. What does that mean? For the last three months there has been a constant barrage of mud and crap thrown back and forth. Even the national committee were throwing millions into this slander campaign. The outcome was constant irritating commercials hourly on the TV. Back and forth, sling after sling until I personally don't think much of either of them. They want to be my representative! So much for what I believe in and what I want to do. We got my opponent is a lying SOB who isn't worthy to be living in your state let alone be your representative.
We have a candidate for Secretary of State that I voted for because his commercials were straight to the point and appeared sincere. I voted for him because I think he will do an honest job.
As for President, I voted for McCain. Not because I have a great affinity for him but I don't think Barack Obama will deliver on much of what he claims he will do. The man is charismatic and plays well with a crowd, he will do well in negotiations and on the international front, but I don't recall hearing him say how he would do these things. It's great to say you will do this or that. Hell, I could promise if I'm elected I would bring the troops home but how? I can solve the economic crisis ... How? I can deliver affordable health care .. HOw? I can get you a job .... HOW? I know that this is all campaign strategy, appeal to the people's imaginations but don't dare tell them the truth. I appreciate straight answers to direct questions. I want to know what my candidate thinks and not what he thinks I want to hear. Such is my naive world.
At least we live in a country where we have the right to vote for our leaders and express that they are full of, and slinging, crap.

No comments: